Saturday, May 27, 2006

meanwhile






Currently listening to

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Scott Walker - The Drift
Magnetophone - remixes, demos, b-sides and rarities

Currently working on Ultraskull issue two

____________

Tom's weblog has a discussion regarding the Da Vinci Code and Foucault's Pendulum. I was rather pleased with my contribution, so I am reprinting it here for the purposes of continued self-pleasuring:

I tried to read 'Foucault's Pendulum'. I had to stop ten pages in with the tacit admission that Umberto Eco is too clever for me. With the Da Vinci Code I had the pleasure of stopping after ten pages, confident that Dan Brown is too stupid for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the first ten pages of Foucault's Pendulum extremely difficult, but struggled over them and decided to give up after 300 instead.

Nick Talbot said...

You are 300% cleverer than me. If I got the maths wrong, make it 3000%. Which just proves my point.

Well done that man.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm not saying I'm NOT 3000% cleverer than you, but I don't think you've factored in the relative ease of reading pp.11-299. I think you should give it another go anyway, and I should too. It's a good book anyway, good fun.

Anonymous said...

On holliday, a long way from other books in a language you understand is a good place to start with Eco I think.

Nick Talbot said...

Well I'm currently enjoying Bravo Two Zero.

Anonymous said...

"Well I'm currently enjoying Bravo Two Zero."
Didn't you mention your reading that 4 months ago or so? Man, you are one slow reader...

Nick Talbot said...

Yeah, I'm reading it again.

I'm not really reading it.

I was just reading Freakonomics, then the Political Animal by Paxman. Now I'm reading another book about the Yorkshire Ripper.

Anonymous said...

Try "The Deputy" by Rolf Hochhuth for a change. It's really, really good. It's a play, but highly gripping.